We are created to worship. We are commanded to do so through song. (1 Chronicles 16:23) There are few things so personal as opening our mouth wide and letting praise flow to our Creator. Many of us have strong associations between Easter and music. Tunes from childhood we’ve never forgotten. Lyrics which resonate with all God has done in our lives. Words about our King we want to shout in triumph. Sometimes it seems like our only way to express the victory we know we have in Christ is through song.
My mom’s favorite Easter song is “Christ the Lord is Risen Today” and she remembers how meaningful it was as she sang soprano and my grandmother sang alto at church. The song is more than two hundred years old, and yet still conveys so much.
Love's redeeming work is done, Alleluia!
Fought the fight, the battle won, Alleluia!
Death in vain forbids him rise, Alleluia!
Christ has opened paradise, Alleluia!
My sister, Katie, likes “Praise Him, Praise Him” by Fanny Crosby.
Praise him! Praise him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer!
For our sins He suffered and bled and died;
He our Rock, our hope of eternal salvation,
Hail him! Hail him! Jesus the Crucified.
Sound his praises - Jesus who bore our sorrows-
Love unbounded, wonderful, deep and strong.
I delight in words, and enjoy using them to express so many things to my God. I have far too many Easter favorites, but especially when times are difficult, I don’t think the lyrics for “The Strife is O’er” can be beaten.
The strife is o'er, the battle done;
The victory of life is won;
The song of triumph has begun.
The powers of death have done their worst,
But Christ their legions has dispersed.
Let shouts of holy joy outburst.
The three sad days are quickly sped;
He rises glorious from the dead.
All glory to our risen Head.
He closed the yawning gates of hell;
The bars from heaven's high portals fell.
Let hymns of praise his triumph tell.
Lord, by the stripes which wounded thee,
From death's dread sting thy servants free,
That we may live and sing to thee.
Below I am listing song ideas. Why not try listening to some new ones this year? Which songs will you choose to jointly raise with the rest of the body of Christ? What Easter songs cause your heart to sing?
- Christ is Risen- Matt Maher
- See What a Morning- Elevation Music
- Was It a Morning Like This?- Sandi Patti
- Christ Is Risen, He Is Risen Indeed- Keith & Kristyn Getty
- Death Was Arrested- North Point
- The Wonderful Cross
- Glorious Day- Passion
- Because He Lives (Amen)- Matt Maher
- The Wonder of Your Cross- Robin Mark
- All We Sinners- David Crowder
- Resurrecting- Aaron Shust
- Cross Has the Final Word & Hallelujah For the Cross- The Newsboys
- Thine Be the Glory
- The Strife Is O’er
- Low In the Grave (Up from the Grave/Christ Arose)
- Christ the Lord is Risen Today
- He Lives
- All Glory, Laud, and Honor
- I Stand Amazed
- Crown Him With Many Crowns
- Praise Him, Praise Him
- Alleluia Sing to Jesus
- Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed (At the Cross)
- Rejoice, the Lord is King!
- And Can It Be
- Go To Dark Gethsemane
- Man of Sorrows
- How Deep the Father’s Love For Us- Stuart Townend
- Beautiful Scandalous Night- Sixpence None the Richer
- Were You There?
- Old Rugged Cross
- O Sacred Head Now Wounded
- There Is a Green Hill Far Away
- Near the Cross- The Festival Choir & Hosanna Chorus
Posted by Cindy Tucker